Thursday, February 27, 2014

Havasu MBBA

With a rad new bike and a fresh course, I rolled into the third round of the MBAA State Championship Series excited to race. I was surprised by the quality of the course in Havasu, after hearing many mixed reviews at the earlier races of the state series. It was one of my favorite race courses ever, full of rippin, perfectly bench cut, single track, in the mountains overlooking Lake Havasu.



Saturday morning I rolled up to the line focused and ready. Although my legs were feeling a bit tired from the hard training block that I had just completed for the US Cup the next weekend, I knew if I battled hard I could be fast on this course. Seeing TJ Woodruff on the line always makes me nervous though, knowing how strong and consistent he is race after race.

It was finally go time and when the whistle blew my FRM Anakin Full 29" rocketed off the line. I've never ridden a bike so responsive and stiff, no power is wasted into frame flex. I got the whole shot and decided to lead it out for awhile. I kept the pace high and within a couple miles it was down to only TJ and I. As soon as we were alone we started trading pulls, every moment was full gas. TJ was attacking every hill and I was pushing it on the fast single track sections. I knew by the conclusion of our first of 3, 10 mile loops we had gained a significant gap on the rest of the pro field.




Over the next couple laps the pace didn't lessen at all. I would work hard on the climbs to try and stay on TJ's wheel while trying to use my strengths on the descents to recover and keep the pace high.

In the end I was able to pull out the win. I rolled across the line totally smoked. The course and my competition had pushed me to the limit. Perfect preparation for the first US Cup the next weekend.



I would like to thank FRM Factory Racing for making sure I have the best equipment to achieve my goals this year. Havasu was my first race on my new FRM Anakin Full and I couldn't have been happier. It pedals amazingly well with an impressive suspension design that keeps things light while virtually eliminating pedal bob. When its gets rough the suspension opens up and creates one of the best descending cross country bikes I have ridden. Coming in at a weight similar to most hard tails, the FRM Anakin Full is as good as it gets.

No comments:

Post a Comment